Wednesday 30 May 2012

Michael Raedecker. Working with thread in paintings

Michael Raedecker. Working with thread in paintings.


Wish I'd come across his work when I was doing my scroll. Still there's plenty of time and plenty of projects to include techniques like this into! 


"Working with thread is something that’s become my technique. Using it is sometimes quite elaborate ... I think of it like building ... memory from the recollection of influences from the past, in the present, maybe even building the future. I think if I had embroidered the whole image then I would go too far, it would really be too much like craft or folk art ... there are certain details which are important so they deserve more work and more detail. Others are empty. There are things happening on the surface of the overall image which hopefully make your eye float around the image ... I always try to find different means for how to use thread ... I don’t fill everything in. I leave room for the viewer to step into the image."
(Quoted in Die Young Stay Pretty [p.42].)

The technique that I used is more like that of Brendan Stuart Burns (scroll to page 6) who uses very loose hand sewn thread, and Alice Kettle, who creates textural multi-layered textiles on a sewing machine. Trying to combine the two techniques of a loose thread on a sewing machine ended up with me almost breaking my sewing machine, but it created lines that wouldn't have been able to do otherwise.


There is an interesting conversation between Alice Kettle and Helen Felcey on You Tube and a  "landscape place setting" they created using ceramic and thread. Their challenge was how "to bring completely different materials together" (Alice Kettle) but they really valued working together as they realized they were able to create ideas that previously they had been unable to produce alone. It was really interesting to see the ways that the ceramics, which consisted of cups, spoon, saucers and plates, interacted with the thread, that either went under, around or sometimes inside the vessels, with drawings from the ceramic echoing the shapes stitched out in the textiles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment